In this episode of Bubble Child, we are going to make some homemade oreos that are gluten free & vegan. Seriously. FULL RECIPE BELOW.
For gluten-free recipes and cooking technique, check out:
We’re also on:
OREOS (GLUTEN-FREE AND VEGAN)
1/2 cup 100% dark chocolate (about 50 grams)
1/3 cup coconut oil
a dash vanilla
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup sugar (or 1/3 cup xylitol)
3/4 cups brown rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon agar agar (a gellifying agent found in seaweed that you can find at your local health store or online)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 170 degrees Celcius. Line a square baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Melt coconut oil and chocolate together in a bain mairie or double boiler. Remove from heat, and mix in sweetener, vanilla, and salt. Set aside.
3. Mix together all dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients, and combine until homogenous. Spatula into lined pan, and bake for about 15 minutes, until completely cooked through. LET COOL COMPLETELY before removing from pan.
4. Meanwhile, mix together your filling, which in my case was the cream from the top of a can of chilled coconut milk mixed with xylitol and sea salt to taste. You can also use a simple frosting of powdered sugar and butter or butter substitute of choice, or to get fancy, go for some mascarpone and powdered sugar. As you wish… whatever tastes good and is white.
5. Once cookie dough is completely cooled (I recommend putting it in the fridge), cut it into desired form. Either use a shot glass, the lid of a can of preserves, or even a square mold if you choose to! Spoon desired amount of filling onto one cut out, top with another, and you’ve got an oreo.
6. I highly recommend keeping these in the fridge for texture purposes (and also so they don’t melt) unless it’s cold where you live. Enjoy, and try not to eat all in one sitting. I can’t say that I kept my own advice. 😉
Enjoy, and share this recipe! It’s a no-fail here, and I hope all people with food allergies/intolerances/aversions can eat their oreos. 🙂